Certification!? Not that!!!

Subject: Certification!? Not that!!!
From: M Silverspring <vetalidevi -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 09:14:13 -0700 (PDT)

Oh, please listen to the impassioned plea of one who
is regretfully experienced in the certification
quagmire.

I'm a registered nurse with a BSN and an MSN, and for
years I was a Certified Oncology Nurse. Nurses are
always trying to prove their worth (sound familiar?)
and always trying to get respect by getting
credentials and degrees. They think that more initials
behind their names will bring more respect, pay, and
job security (that is, not being replaced by
lower-paid aides or vocational nurses). Ha. The MARKET
rules.

Hospitals hire the cheapest labor they can find, and
put the overworked RN in charge of 10 patients "cared
for" by unlicensed personnel. I never got better pay
because I was oncology certified, although some jobs
required it. The certification has to be renewed every
four years and costs a bundle, and you have to sit for
half a day taking an SAT-style exam. This is a HUGE
PAIN. Certification creates another layer of
bureaucracy and lots of money for the certifying
organization but little return for the successful
applicant except status. As for degrees-- while having
a BSN (like having a degree in tech writing) is an
advantage, I know a lot of very smart RN's who don't
have a degree and some dumb ones with Ph.D.s.

Don't go there! You will rue the day.
Martha Silverspring

http://auctions.yahoo.com/

April 27. http://www.pdfconference.com.