RE: Recruiters who work with offsite tech writers

Subject: RE: Recruiters who work with offsite tech writers
From: Mike Stockman <stockman -at- jagunet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 20:41:43 -0400

On 04/17/2001 7:21 PM, Worzel Gummidge (worzel_gummidge -at- lycos -dot- com) wrote:

>I'm trying to find work that is at least 95% offsite. However, I cannot
>find any recruiters who will work with me because I only want to work
>offsite.
>
>Does anyone out there know of any recruiters who work with offsite writers?

When I was doing this (working for mainly Boston-area clients from
Maryland), I found that the recruiters were my biggest obstacle to
getting offsite contracts. Most of them lacked the imagination or guts to
even suggest it to a client (and many of them told me so, albeit using
slightly different words). The recruiters who were willing to give it a
shot (after some "education" sessions with me on the phone) were usually
pleasantly surprised when the clients said "Sure, we'll talk to him... if
he has the skills we need, we don't care where he lives." Of course, if
you can avoid the recruiters entirely and gain contracts through
friends/colleagues, you'll be much better off.

My advice, if you can't get contracts through people you know, is to find
the most communicative, open-minded recruiters you've dealt with (if
there are any on your list) and describe working remotely to them.
If/when the recruiters are convinced working off-site can work at all,
remind them that they have nothing to lose by submitting your name for
contracts. Note: treat any recruiters who are willing to learn very, very
well, and be sure they know that you appreciate the "huge risk" (in their
minds, anyway) that they're taking to help you.

One BIG note: The recruiters will want to submit your name *only* to
those clients who specify that off-site is OK. Your goal is to get them
to submit your name to all clients *unless* they say "onsite only." And
even then, it can't hurt you if they submit it anyway (although the
recruiter's reputation might suffer a tad for not reading the
instructions...)

Hope this helps,
----->Mike

stockman -at- jagunet -dot- com -- AOL and AOL Instant Messenger:MStockman

April 27. http://www.pdfconference.com.