RE: TECHWR-L Conference

Subject: RE: TECHWR-L Conference
From: Dave Neufeld <Dave_Neufeld -at- spectrumsignal -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 13:53:55 -0700

Andrew Plato said:
<<<
7) We need 5 to 10 speakers who will talk about cool, techie stuff. My
thoughts: I would love somebody to talk about XML. I'd also be interested
in hearing about Linux and some general "ideas in documenting complex web
applications" or something like that. I would also like see a
semi-humorous attempt to battle out the Word vs. Frame debate. I think
that could be fun, if it was done with the right attitude.

I recall that some of this was covered in the Pan-Pacific STC in Hawaii.
There were:
- Several XML 1/2 day workshops and 45 minute seminars
- A writing tools overview for Linux
- Even a 1/2 day workshop on APIs

After looking at the Chicago schedule though, I must admit that it's a load
of fluff.

In regard to technical content, seminars should cover how to document a
particular type of technology, and how to educate yourself about it.

For example, I'd like to see ways of documenting:
-C functions
-C++ functions
-Java functions
-Registers in integrated circuits
-Physical specifications for chips, boards, and other electronic equipment
-Memory maps
-Microprocessors
-FPGA code
Even though I've been doing this for years, I'd like to see other
perspectives. I could be missing something or I could find a better
approach. Many of these things are basic to the industry, but I've never
seen a documented standard way of doing them. I've evolved my approach
through competitive analysis, plaegerism, common sense and research.

Seminars that "teach" attendees about a particular technology should provide
a brief overview about the technology and a resource list for learning more
(list of web site tutorials, books, courses, conferences, training etc.)
Attendees could find out how to learn about a technology and how much
time/effort it will take to learn it. Many of these topics are too big to
learn in a seminar/workshop/conference. Give the attendees a self-study
curriculum.

And now for some demented fun.

Go to the Chicago STC conf website and select the seminars Andrew should
attend. Be cruel. Look at the list and ask yourself "Which seminar in this
timeslot would cause him to squirm the most?" Would he heckle? If we all
chipped in a few bux, We could send him there, BUT only if he brought back
webcam evidence of attending our seminar list.

David Neufeld
Technical Publications
Spectrum Signal Processing
www.spectrumsignal.com