Articles and URL

Subject: Articles and URL
From: Jessica Pease <JPEASE -at- Partnerware -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 15:43:31 -0500

Hi Again,

Here's another one.

Most people I know choose the preceding article for an acronym based on the
pronunciation of the acronym. What about in the case of the acronym "URL?" I
have heard it pronounced "Ewe Are El," and "Earl." So, would you use
"an URL," or "a URL?" I know this is trivial but I've had to use this
construction in documentation and I've done it both ways and someone
invariably pointed out my error either way. I'd like to be able to say
something like, "the majority of technical communcators choose to do it like
so."

Thanks for your opinions.

Jessica Pease

April 27. http://www.pdfconference.com.