RE: Conference Proceedings

Subject: RE: Conference Proceedings
From: Marguerite Krupp <mkrupp -at- cisco -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 13:05:50 -0400

Probably more than you want to know, but here goes.

The contents of the STC Proceedings depend upon what the authors supply.

* Presentations based on research often contain the details of the research,
while the presentation itself may be the overview.

* Panel discussion sessions generally have papers by each of the
participants, unless those particpants collaborated on a single project.

* "Progression" (A.K.A. "round-robin") sessions may supply some details, but
these sessions tend to develop according to the needs of the participants,
so they generally offer only bare-bones Proceedings material.

* Workshop/interactive sessions, because of their nature, generally supply
only abstracts or statements of purpose.

* Sessions devoted to STC administration/chapter building/etc., don't
generally contribute to the Proceedings.

* Keynoters often do not submit papers.

Count up the number of sessions per day (usually 4-5), multiply by the
number of days (3), and the number of presenters per session (usually 1-4).
You get an idea from this of the possible number of papers! Of course, not
everyone submits a full paper, but each session does, at least, get an
overview page in the Proceedings, with contact info for the various
presenters.

The advent of the CD-ROM format for the Proceedings (thank-you Toronto!)
meant that authors could submit longer papers. Note that longer is not
necessarily better, but at least the potential is there.

Often, presenters talk ABOUT the papers in the Proceedings, encouraging
attendees to read the details in the Proceedings. This seems eminently
sensible to me, since I can do that on my own time. I want to interact with
the presenter and get the handouts, if any, at the conference. I try to get
to one workshop/progression in per day. And I also enjoy talking further
with the presenters (OK, schmoozing) during the conference.

HTH,
Marguerite

April 27. http://www.pdfconference.com.