RE: Possible "Alterna-conference" locations?

Subject: RE: Possible "Alterna-conference" locations?
From: "Lydia Wong" <lydiaw -at- fpoint -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 12:15:07 -0400

A college or university would probably be an excellent site. As for Karen's
well-reasoned benefits and drawbacks list, the one about housing can
probably be discounted, depending on the campus.

John Gilger's note about the University of Nevada, Las Vegas, is on the
money: many urban universities would suit for this purpose. Another example
would be Vanderbilt University, located near downtown Nashville (another big
spot for conferences, actually). Many universities near an urban area often
have several kinds of lodging available very close to campus, besides the
dorm rooms on campus.

I attended Vanderbilt University, and one summer had the very interesting
job of preparing and clearing campus dorm rooms for the many groups who used
the campus facilities throughout the period of May through August. (Some of
those adults trashed rooms faster than college students did, let me tell
you! It was a summer to remember--changing sheets, cleaning rooms--but I'm
digressing.)

At any rate, here's the web site for Vanderbilt's conference coordination
office: http://www.vanderbilt.edu/conferences/. As you'll note under
accomodations, there are many different housing arrangments available, some
with their own baths, I believe. I'm sure many universities and colleges
offer these services and provide information on their web sites.

Good luck to the planners for this event, if it takes place. It will be hard
to please everyone, but it could be a great experience.

Lydia : )
Lydia Wong
Technical Writer
FarPoint Technologies, Inc.