Re: OT - Re: Well, I Sure Won't Be in Chicago (was Re: The repeated/quoted text in your message)

Subject: Re: OT - Re: Well, I Sure Won't Be in Chicago (was Re: The repeated/quoted text in your message)
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- progeny -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 17:32:39 -0700

MMdeaton wrote:

> I agree with Tracy. Either try to change STC or quick complaining.

I'm told that the Sufis have a saying: "Pears do not grow only in
Samarkand."

I'd apply the saying to the STC. The STC's frequent delusions to the
contrary, it is not the sole voice of technical writers, nor the
sole arbiter of the profession. If people want to give something to
the profession, they can do so without any reference to the STC.

That's why the proposed techwr-l conference sounds promising to me.
I doubt that it will match the scope of the STC conference in its
first year. However, I think that making the attempt is far
healthier than unloading an Uzi at a mallard that is not only
reclinging but sprawled in a lounger in front of the TV with a
channel changer and a bag of stale corn chips under one wing.

--
Bruce Byfield 604.421.7177 bbyfield -at- progeny -dot- com

"There's the smell of death on Golden Mountain,
A price in blood is paid on every load
And you bury your friends, too many for counting
In the rock and the mud of the Demon Fire-Carriage Road."
- Su-Chong Lim

April 27. http://www.pdfconference.com.