Re: TECHWR-L conference thread

Subject: Re: TECHWR-L conference thread
From: Karen Walakavage <walakavage -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 11:17:26 -0700 (PDT)

There are some great ideas being bounced around here,
as well as some very important logistical concerns.
What I've seen, though, is that there certainly is
enough interest among active posters to imagine that
at least some lurkers would go for a legitimate

And as for making it a "TECHWR-L conference," I don't
see how that is a necessary tie-in. Eric provides us
with a forum, and what we do with the information and
communication from this forum is our business. So long
as we obey posting rules and remain polite, any plans
we make are our own. We could call the meeting the
First Annual Western Spanglia Convocation of Buick
Lovers as far as it matters. I, personally, drive a
VW.

Further, if we make this brigand's conference, it may
alienate STC supporters in the TECHWR-L community, and
I don't think that's right. "Can't we all just get
along?" Although we come from different camps

Working out the logistics is the biggest nightmare.
"Western" US locations are the hot topic, and that may
be the first project to tackle -- ONCE we can commit
to this project.

Let's:

1) Determine a definite level of interest for
enrollment. For every person to attend, we'd need a
strong interest/support from about 5. How could we
measure this, outside of a messy survey which would
clog TECHWR-L?

2) If it seems that we have enough folks to warrant a
conference, I suggest that we go find (I hate to
terrify you guys with the mention) SMEs who can
provide 2 day's worth of work to the actual
convention.

3) Pick a date. And, yes, we're talking at least a
year.

4) Find a place. I suggest Fibber's Motel on Route 120
in Pennsylvania, but I'm partial to that because it's
right next to my parent's house (the scenery is
lovely, and my parents would let us use their barbecue
pit). It has only 12 rooms, but it does have 2 pool
tables. Don't all go trying to stay there right now;
trout season opens this weekend, and they're booked
full.

And from there it should be cake PROVIDED we do the
pre-step-one process of *finding people who can work
on this*. I'm working out of my house right now and
only part-time at that, but I have the time and
interest to put my back into this idea and I'd like to
know if there are any others out there who would like
to stand up to dealing with hotels, motels, conference
centers, und so weiter.

Any takers on this one?
And Eric, I'd like to know your opinion on this.

http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

April 27. http://www.pdfconference.com.