Re: Well, I Sure Won't Be in Chicago

Subject: Re: Well, I Sure Won't Be in Chicago
From: "Larry Kunz" <ldkunz -at- us -dot- ibm -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 11:17:23 -0400

I *will* be in Chicago, actually.

Some of you have lamented the "fact" (perception, really) that the STC
conference -- and by extension, STC itself -- doesn't offer much in the way
of technical subjects. That's sorta true, but only up to a point.

If you're fortunate enough today to be working with a hot tool or
technology, you probably won't find much that you can take home and use
right away. But you can still pick up some enlightenment about the tool
you just recently heard about, or about the technology you'll be using next
year. For example, I got my first working knowledge of XML by attending a
couple of STC events. Come to think of it, going back quite a few years, a
lot of my early knowledge of online help came from STC events too. (I'm
not older than dirt, but I can remember when it was still considered
cutting edge.)

That's not to say there aren't problems. Because (like other conference
sponsors) STC solicits paper proposals about a year in advance, anything
that's truly new when submitted is liable to have lost a little luster by
the time of the conference. But, again, that's only a problem if you're an
early adopter of that particular technology.

As Tracy pointed out, you don't go to the Gap for formal clothes, and you
won't find absolutely everything at the STC Annual Conference. But you'll
find good stuff. And you have other resources -- STC SIGs, regional
conferences, other organizations, trade rags -- for the rest of what you
need.

Finally -- Bryan Westbrook asked, "Where are they holding the 2002 STC
conference?" It's going to be in Nashville, Tennessee, from May 5-8, 2002.
If there's a topic you'd like to see presented, find someone who's a good
speaker and encourage them to submit a proposal.

Larry Kunz
IBM Corp. - RTP, NC
919-254-6395
mailto:ldkunz -at- us -dot- ibm -dot- com

April 27. http://www.pdfconference.com.