Subject: TECHWR-L Conference
From: Andrew Plato <intrepid_es -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 10:04:08 -0700 (PDT)

Wow! The response has been overwhelming to this. I am really surprised.

I think conference is a great idea. However, here are some realities we
have to address:

1) Eric must agree to it. He owns the TECHWR-L name and I would want him
and the TECHWR-L "organization" involved.

2) We have to pick a place. My feeling is that whomever agrees to manage
the organization and mechanics of putting on the conference gets to pick
the location. If it were me, I would put it on in either Phoenix, AZ, Las
Vegas, or Portland, OR - mainly because they are reasonably large cities
and reasonably inexpensive to stay. However, I really do not have the
spare cycles to manage a conference. I will speak, I'll help, I'll send
over my IT guys to wire up stuff. But, I have too much work as is.

3) As much as I wish this could be free, we will have to pay. Hotel
conference rooms cost $$$. I think if we went to a reasonable place where
two rooms were $2500 a day we could get the cost down to $100 or so a
head. Out of principle, I think anybody who speaks should get in free.

4) At $100 to $200 a head, we'll need at least 50 people. 100 would be
better.

5) My firm would be willing to sponsor the conference. But we would need 1
or 2 other corporate sponsors at $2500 or so a pop.

6) The conference should be 2 days. No more. We're all busy people and 2
days is enough. Personally, I think we should do it over a weekend. But,
that would probably cost more.

7) We need 5 to 10 speakers who will talk about cool, techie stuff. My
thoughts: I would love somebody to talk about XML. I'd also be interested
in hearing about Linux and some general "ideas in documenting complex web
applications" or something like that. I would also like see a
semi-humorous attempt to battle out the Word vs. Frame debate. I think
that could be fun, if it was done with the right attitude.

Well that's my initial thoughts.

Andrew Plato

http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

April 27. http://www.pdfconference.com.