Happy news!

Subject: Happy news!
From: M Silverspring <vetalidevi -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 09:44:47 -0700 (PDT)

Last month I wrote to this list, depressed because I'd
been laid off from my first formal tech writing job
after only 11 months.

I just got a job!
What happened? How did I do it?

Well, I took the advice I got here on this list. I
sent my resume to dice.com and a couple of other
boards. I also sent it to every single job that seemed
like a possibility. Each resume was attached to an
email cover letter that described the skills I had
that made me a fit for the job.

I went to STC meetings and networked.
In all my contacts I was upbeat, positive, and
enthusiastic, even if I didn't feel that way. Boy was
that hard sometimes.

Finally my dream company called me in for an
interview. In the group interview with the writers,
one of them pointed out an error I'd made in my index
entries. I was mortified. I'd had my samples vetted
several times, how could this have happened? I blushed
purple, and thanked the man for his comments. Later I
felt I'd blown it, but I sent thank you notes to all
the people with whom I'd met.

Two days later they offered me the job, with an
increase in salary.

Thanks to all you cool people here, and your helpful
hints.

Martha Silverspring

http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

April 27. http://www.pdfconference.com.