Re: Well, I Sure Won't Be in Chicago

Subject: Re: Well, I Sure Won't Be in Chicago
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Sean -at- Quodata -dot- Com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 13:24:20 -0400

The truth be told, I've found little use for the STC, though I am a member.
Maybe that's because I tried but failed to connect with the local chapter,
who knows? I attended last year's STC annual, to see what it was like . . .
but corporate budgets are frozen and this year I could not go if I wanted
to. I'd have preferred to go to WinWriters this year, to check it out.

I personally enjoyed last years Annual shindig. Some topics failed to live
up to their billing, but there were some sessions I found very interesting,
such as one on implementing an XML/database documentation solution.
All-in-all, the STC does focus on things important to the profession,
indexing, management theories, and the like. However, from the trenches,
intermediate writers probably have those things figured out already.

There are tech writers who think the STC is the cat's @$$ and entirely
pertinent to their day-to-day job. I'm not one of them. However, neither
have I stepped up to the plate to do anything about it (no time). In that
vein, Andrew, why don't you put your $$ where your mouth is and sign up to
teach a technology session at next year's conf?

Cheers,

Sean
sean -at- quodata -dot- com

April 27. http://www.pdfconference.com.