Subject: Summary: As explained in the next section
From: "Hager, Harry (US - East Brunswick)" <hhager -at- dc -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 08:48:10 -0500

Thank You Tech Writers,

Many thanks to the numerous thoughtful replies to my question about use of
the phrase, "as explained in the next section."

The verdict is virtually unanimous:

1. Don't use the phrase in online help because the term "next section" is
really meaningless or too nebulous in the world of online help.
2. Use hyperlinks instead.

When just about everybody on these two LISTSERVs agrees, it must be the
right thing to do.

There were several great variations of wording for the hyperlinks suggested.
However, I need to be careful about trying to do anything too specific for
the online help side that might conflict with the needs of the printed doc
side. I'm using Doc-To-Help (D2H) to single source the printed doc and the
online help. I'll probably use the same style that I've used for the other
hyperlinks in the document.

I realize I can use conditional text with D2H and mark anything I want for
online, or for print, or for both, but I like to keep it as simple and
non-complex as possible. The software is complex enough; it can take me 20
or 30 print pages to describe the procedures for one screen. The product is
a robust web-based data mining tool, so I'm using a build target of HTML
Help (Browser Using ActiveX) in D2H.

One thing I like about being a tech writer is that other tech writers are
willing to share their good ideas, as you all did in this case.

Thank you,

H. Jim Hager
hhager -at- dc -dot- com
Pittsburgh Data Center

- This message (including any attachments) contains confidential information
intended for a specific individual and purpose, and is protected by law. -

April 27. http://www.pdfconference.com.