Re: The demise of the printed manual?

Subject: Re: The demise of the printed manual?
From: "Henry Vandelinde" <HenryV -at- milltronics -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 07:25:39 -0400

We provide instrumentation that does not rely only on PC connections, thus it is possible for a technician to be in the field without a laptop. Therefore, hard copy is crucial.

We do have configuration software, and it has Help files but the instrument still comes with hard copy.

We also provide all our manuals on CD and encourage people to download them from the Web site.

My feeling is that the more media the merrier. Rather than substituting one for the other, offer as many as is economically feasible and let the clients decide which works.

regards,

Henry

****************************
Henry Vandelinde, Ph.D.
Technical Publications Team Leader
Siemens Milltronics
(705) 740-7643

>>> <Warren_Singer -at- vocaltec -dot- com> 04/12/01 05:18AM >>>
My company is thinking of cutting down on costs by stopping the production
of printed manuals. How many of you work for companies that only provide
online documentation? (pdf format/html/online help). Is it acceptable in
today's market?

April 27. http://www.pdfconference.com.