RE: Thank you notes

Subject: RE: Thank you notes
From: Gilda_Spitz -at- markham -dot- longview -dot- ca
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 08:56:01 -0400

Maggie, it's been a while since I've written a thank you note for a job
interview (because I've been in the same position for over four years). I
can assure you, however, that I did so for every interview I ever did,
except for one position that I really, really didn't want. Can't say for
sure if I won the jobs based on the thank you notes, but you never know.

However, I can tell you for sure that, as an employer, I absolutely DO pay
attention to a thank you note, for several reasons:

- It shows that the interviewee has good manners, and is therefore more
likely to get along well with others on my team.
- It provides one more example of writing style and attention to detail.
(The resume, and even the cover letter, may have been edited or even
substantially written by someone other than the applicant, but the thank
you note is more likely to reveal the writing skills of the "real"
applicant.)
- When I have a tough decision between two similarly-qualified people, and
all else being equal, the thank you note is a legitimate means for breaking
a tie.

Hope this is helpful.

Gilda Spitz
Manager, Documentation