Re: Creating Inch & Metric Tutorials

Subject: Re: Creating Inch & Metric Tutorials
From: Wil Gaffga <WilG -at- GibbsCAM -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2001 14:39:40 -0700

Greetings Christine,

Well, my solution has been to use both the first and second options.

1) I don't see how you have twice as much translation. You simply have new
data for all languages but English. Use the same data as for English but
fudge the numbers a bit to work for metric values. Instead of simply
multiplying by 25.4, multiply by 25 or modify your tutorials slightly and
use 20. This will avoid winding up with measurements like 76.2 for a face
mill's size. Additionally, it is easy enough to enter standard mill sizes
for tools. True it is a little more work but makes your manuals truly
localized.
2) Several of my manuals are half inch, half metric with examples in
reference using both. This is much more difficult to keep track of but works
well in Tutorials. Bringing in a Parasolid model, while easily changed betw.
Inch & Metric, and working in the parts native unit, is good practice. Keeps
your clients on their toes. ;-)
3) For us, the word is that most US clients would freak.

Input from a competitor - use it as you wish. Or is that risk? ;-)

Take Care,

Wil

Wil Gaffga
Documentation Manager