FWD: Re: Explaining your edits (was: Whaddaya know?)

Subject: FWD: Re: Explaining your edits (was: Whaddaya know?)
From: "Dick Margulis" <margulis -at- mail -dot- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 12:28:36 -0400

Scott:

No argument from me. I may be old, but I'm still breathing. As I said in another post in this thread, _grammar_ is part of the living language as spoken. Native speakers get it right.

However, we also have a constantly changing set of editorial conventions that help readers decode squiggly marks back into language. To the extent that we don't surprise the reader with novel constructions _unintentionally_ (I'm all for surprising the reader intentionally), we aid comprehension. That is an important function and it has nothing to do with holding the language frozen in amber.

Dick

April 27. http://www.pdfconference.com.