RE: Having Your Style Guide and Eating Your Fries Too

Subject: RE: Having Your Style Guide and Eating Your Fries Too
From: "McDonald, Guy A." <Guy -dot- A -dot- McDonald -at- usa -dot- conoco -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 06:51:11 -0500

Oh boy, this looks like fun. I'll have to dig though a bunch of under grad
works of mine, but it is a good exercise. Since this topic meanders off the
normal technical writing path, I'll dump the work temporarily on an FTP
server to share with anyone who is interested.

>>>Those who are interested in critiques of TQM and Deming's mechanistic
flavor of quality management can view it by sending me a note. Contact me in
private and I will you the URL by the end of this week. Please use this
subject line to help me organize.<<<

Regarding research - sometimes it takes a little more effort (and resource
access) than Google/Lycos/etc. to get a clearer picture of certain subjects.
Remember, the Internet didn't start capturing information until the 80s.
Prior to that, academic & governmental agencies were just barely recording
information. This is important to realize, especially when you deal with
subjects that stretch back a bit.

Deming started his work in the 50s and ended up publishing some of his best
works through MIT press in the 80s before passing on in 1993. Cursory
searches through the like of Google will yield (deservedly so) a plethora of
praise for the man. However, most of the archived business press that
provides a critical, holistic analysis of Deming's work is found in Online
libraries like ProQuest, EBSCOhost, InfoTrac & FIS Online. These, and others
like it, charge a fee for viewing material that is not found in the public
domain. For me, a guy working on his MBA, such tools are invaluable.

Here comes another week - may all of you enjoy it!

Guy A. McDonald
Information Development Manager
Technical Information Architects, Inc.