Re: Frame 6.0 Generated Lists, help please!: A report

Subject: Re: Frame 6.0 Generated Lists, help please!: A report
From: Berk/Devlin <armadill -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2001 03:52:59 -0700

Things have moved around in the menus between FrameMaker 5.5.6 and 6.0, and not always in a good way, IMO. There are a few changes I like in 6.0, but that's not why I've upgraded. At my new gig, they have not owned FrameMaker before and they are convinced that buying an "old" version is not a good idea, so I get to "go where (few) have gone before..." And, well, I am getting paid to do it, so I guess that's ok.

Yes, it's true that the templates I had appropriated were designed for 5.5.6 so the instructions for modifying them (understandably) did not work.

And, I believe there are some bugs in the way FM 6.0 handles the TOC. Like, sometimes Set-up-TOC (which is now an entry in the Edit Menu for TOC files only, of course) is enabled and sometimes it's not. Same file. Just do a few handstands once in a while and it's enabled/disabled again.

It turned out that I had to edit the Reference Page for the TOC to make my TOC come out right. Not intuitive and the help files are truly unhelpful.

Thanks to the many of you who offered suggestions and for letting me know you were trying to help. In particular, Julie Chan identified which arcane variable had to be deleted from the Reference Page (<pagenum>, from the Chapter Number section) and this did the trick. Made my weekend bearable.

--Emily

Build Contents, Indexes, and Search for Web Sites and Help Systems Available 4/30/01 at http://www.devahelp.com or info -at- devahelp -dot- com