Re: tech writers and language usage

Subject: Re: tech writers and language usage
From: edunn -at- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 17:23:34 -0400

>>The author said that "documentation" is a "ludicrous"
>>way of saying "user guide,"

That one line completely discredits the author. Documentation covers the many
different documents produced by TWs. Indeed, that is why so many prefer to be
referred to as TC (Technical Communicator). We don't just write, and user guides
are just a small part of what our industry now produces. I don't see how using
documentation to refer to the Operations Manual, Inspection/Maintenance
Procedures Manual, Specifications, Training Manuals and Materials, and IETM
output is "ludicrous".

Sounds more like someone hard up for an idea about a essay topic and just set up
some easy straw men to knock down without doing much research. Of course this
means I'm jumping to conclusions without doing much research of my own <bg>.

Eric L. Dunn

April 27. http://www.pdfconference.com.