RE: pronouns and portfolios

Subject: RE: pronouns and portfolios
From: "Glenn Maxey" <glenn -dot- maxey -at- voyanttech -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 12:33:43 -0600

Reply to question #1 about "they". I use the plural pronoun all the time
mostly out of political correctness. If I happen to notice noun/pronoun
disagreements during editing of my work, I'll try to change noun to also be
plural. If I don't catch it, I don't worry about it.

Reply to question #2 about putting online help in your portfolio: if it fits
on a floppy, put it on a floppy. Otherwise, burn a CD with all of your
samples on it.

I've been on both sides of the fence in terms of submitting my work to get a
job and reviewing the work of others.

When applying for the last three jobs, I've e-mailed a help file with my
cover e-mail and Word/Txt résumé. In fact, the help file I sent is an old
one that contained a fancy old résumé with hyperlinks into samples of my
work. I turned the compression way up high in order to get it down to 1.44
MB to fit on a single floppy.

As an interviewer, I like seing electronics samples of peoples work. It
tells me immediately how well they use their tools. (HINT: Use Word styles
correctly and diligently. I hate seeing the "normal" style in multiple
"abnormal" ways -- body text, bolded text, italic text, bulleted lists,
flush-left, centered, different tab stops. Abnormal uses of the normal style
causes problems in Word and makes it more difficult to re-use sections of
the document in other places.)

Glenn Maxey
Voyant Technologies, Inc.
Tel. +1 303.223.5164
Fax. +1 303.223.5275
glenn -dot- maxey -at- voyanttech -dot- com

<snip>

> I'm a student (and a tech writer intern), and we had a discussion about
> this in a grammar class where the teacher said using "they" as a pronoun
> for an unidentified someone may eventually become common usage.
> Personally, I think it's a great way to overcome the "s/he" conundrum,
> although I avoid it in my papers. What do you think?
>
> #2--I will someday need to create a portfolio for potential employers.
<snip>

April 27. http://www.pdfconference.com.