Language use

Subject: Language use
From: "Douglas S. Bailey (AL)" <dbailey -at- commandalkon -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 13:29:19 -0500

> It is debatable whether this belongs on this list. Eric's
> guidelines say:
>
> * If it relates to _language use_ but not technical
> communication, it probably isn't appropriate.
> Don't post it.

I'm appalled that someone would think that language use isn't an intrinsic
part of technical communication, to put it bluntly. How can the two be
separated? There is no communication at all, let alone technical
communication, without language use. It only follows that *how* you use
language should be directly pertinent to how (or even if you are able to)
communicate technically.

If Eric was attempting to stifle a source of relentless and endless debate,
well, I think he could have approached the task more effectively.

Doug

~~~
Doug Bailey
Technical Writer