RE: Wordperfect to Word conversion

Subject: RE: Wordperfect to Word conversion
From: "Douglas S. Bailey (AL)" <dbailey -at- commandalkon -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 09:43:02 -0500

> My client has a really large wordperfect file which needs conversion to
> Word - however it is full of tables and pictures of products and the
tables
> go crazy in the conversion - inserting heaps of blank lines. Any ideas
please?

There are plenty of ways to go about this...

1) Save the sections that don't have tables as individual WP files and then
convert them to Word (depending on your version of Word, you might be able
to just use Word to Open them).

2) Save the tables into their own files and convert them individually. You
might still encounter the heaps of blank lines, but it might be easier to
deal with them if each table is in its own file.

3) While in WP, build and run a macro to insert an end-of-cell character
into the end of each cell of each table. Then convert the tables, complete
with their end-of-cell characters, to plain text. Perform Step 2 on these
tables and then use Word's Convert Text to Table command to restore the
tables.

4) Does WP support saving to RTF? If so, try saving to RTF and then loading
the RTFs into Word.

5) Do you have the pictures available separately, in their original file
format? If so, you can import them directly into Word. In this case you
can delete them in the WP document (actually, replace them with a plain text
location marker) and then convert the resulting file to Word format.

Doug Bailey

Technical Writer
Technical Communications Dept.
Command Alkon