Fries

Subject: Fries
From: David Orr <dorr -at- ORRNET -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 17:13:30 -0500

Sorry for my imprecise language. I said,

>So-called "Fourth Generation," iterative, user-centered
>development processes recognize that people often don't know what's needed
>on a project until they get into it a bit.

I should have said, "...developers often don't know the shape of the final
solution until they get into the project a bit." As I said in the subsequent
paragraph, iterative methodologies start with task analysis, audience
analysis, and so on. I was trying to make the point (badly, I guess) that
front-end analysis alone, such as that that goes into making up standards
from scratch, needs some reality testing with real users. Even solutions
that have worked in the past may not work, without alteration, for current
projects.

As to Deming and Japan, all that I have read has indicated he is revered in
Japan for his contribution to quality there. I must have read dozens of
articles, seen TV specials, and a read a couple of books that say the same
thing. Perhaps they are all repeating an untruth. By all means enlighten the
list, but I'd like authoritative sources, chapter and verse.

As to Deming in practice in America, we've used his approach in our company
since 1991 with dramatic, measurable improvement in both morale and
productivity.

As to using user-centered, iterative design in documentation, we've been
using it since 1991 with similar improvements in productivity, successful
completion of projects, and customer satisfaction. We had used "just-do-it"
(ad hoc) methods and waterfall methods before 1991 with less satisfactory
results.

M. David Orr
Orr & Associates Corporation
http://www.orrnet.com