ethics, morals in documentation?

Subject: ethics, morals in documentation?
From: anon <unknownidca -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 08:58:35 -0700 (PDT)

I thought I'd share a strange little situation from
work. Yesterday myself and several other staff were
called into a meeting and asked if we'd have any
problems modifying our product for a company that can
best be described as a porn empire.

Our managers were very earnest, explaining that we
wouldn't be exposed to objectionable content. We'd
only have to 'wipe clean' any mention of our company
and product name. Then we would modify the interface
and the online help to suit the customer's needs.

I've never been exposed to anything even remotely
resembling an 'ethical dilemma'. However, I think that
this qualifies as a 'moral issue'.

Does it matter who uses our documentation? Or what
it's used to accomplish? Is it common for companies to
give employees the choice between participating and
not participating in a project? If so, what are some
of the repercussions of not participating?

I've already made my own decision to participate in
this project. I thought, however, that describing the
situation might stir up some interesting debate.

http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

April 27. http://www.pdfconference.com.