RE: help: tips from c++ api writers

Subject: RE: help: tips from c++ api writers
From: Megan Golding <mgolding -at- secureworks -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 05:14:47 -0400

[Carol Chung] has been "asked to document an api on short
notice...If I have to, I heard that you can extract info from
header files."

---

Carol,

I would recommend an automated tool for extracting documentation
directly from the code. At my company, the developers have
installed and are using doxygen
(http://www.stack.nl/~dimitri/doxygen/). Doxygen is free soft-
ware (GUN License).

In the past, when I documented a small API, I found the biggest
challenges were in making sure my documentation was complete and
accurate. This is very tedious work and you'll get the best
results when information is taken directly from the code.
Fortunately, tools like doxygen and javadoc
(http://java.sun.com/j2se/javadoc/index.html) make API documen-
tation much easier.

Good luck with your project!

Regards,