RE: links without underlining them?

Subject: RE: links without underlining them?
From: Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- jci -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 12:03:27 -0500

>If you can guarantee that your users have browsers that support
>JavaScript/CSS, the other solutions work fine, and are probably better...
>just providing some alternatives!

Given that this is one of the first portions of CSS that was implemented,
it's a pretty decent bet. Given also that the target audience appears to
programmers, a class of people notorious for living on the bleeding edge,
installing the latest beta version of anything they happen to use, the odds
get even higher.

For those keeping score, the link pseudo-element is supported in IE/Win
starting in version 4.0 and IE/Mac starting in version 3.01, in Netscape
starting with 4.6 for Win and 4.5 for Mac. And Opera 3.6. So unless your
audience uses browsers before these, you're fairly safe. (They can always
turn CSS off, but if you're going to allow that objection, then there's no
way to do it, as they might also turn images off, as well.)

If you have a question about what CSS is supported in which browser, take a
trip to:

http://www.webreview.com/style/css1/charts/mastergrid.shtml

for more information than you *really* want to have on this topic.

Oh, and how do you know what browser mix your audience is using? If it's an
existing website, ask your web admin or sysadmin to pull that information
out of the server log files. Web servers keep track of what browsers are
visiting (along with a great many other useful pieces of information) and
you can get a precise definition of your audience mix that way, rather than
relying on survey information which covers a (perhaps significantly)
different audience.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224