Re: Standards Creep (was "Documentation plans, standards manuals, and more")

Subject: Re: Standards Creep (was "Documentation plans, standards manuals, and more")
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- progeny -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2001 13:01:39 -0700

Andrew Plato wrote:

> That's funny. I have noticed the same thing. It seems places with the most
> regimented standards also seem to be in a constant state of "updating them".
>
> We all know why this happens. People get into positions of power and they don't
> want to be dirtied with the mundane work of actually writing. They have to
> justify their paycheck somehow, so they constantly develop styles and
> templates. Its just a way to avoid their real job and look more important.

Also, some people seem to crave the security of definite standards
and precedents - so much so that they won't make a move on their
own. I first noticed this tendency in grad school, where some of my
fellow students could average a citation every ten words or so, and
reacted in horror to an original thought unbacked by a reference.

More recently, I've seen the same thing in tech writers. One writer
I met was terrified a the thought of a job where no previous style
guide existed; she literally broke into tears and started shaking.
Another one didn't quite cry, but came close, and complained loudly
and bitterly about the responsibility. Yet another writer, told that
part of the job would be to develop standards, disqualified herself
in the middle of an interview.

These people are exasparating, but I suppose that they're more to be
pitied than anything else. I suspect that they have massive
self-doubts and insecurity.

Still, I admit that they're easier to pity when you don't have to
deal with them.

--
Bruce Byfield 604.421.7177 bbyfield -at- progeny -dot- com

"Wild wood, bush and briar, it makes your feet to stumble,
Wise blood,the sky's on fire: away, away,
Wild wood, bush and briar, it makes your heart to tremble;
Love, you mustn't tire at the dying of the day."
-OysterBand, "We Shall Come Home"

April 27. http://www.pdfconference.com.