Re: Standards Creep (was "Documentation plans, standards manuals, and more")

Subject: Re: Standards Creep (was "Documentation plans, standards manuals, and more")
From: Andrew Plato <intrepid_es -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 08:33:17 -0700 (PDT)

"McDonald, Guy A." wrote...

> Unfortunately, the human nature to fix something that isn't broke can give
> birth an ugly beast. I know of 3 large companies that employ such a beast
> that will continually justify its existence by belching out change after
> change after change. Hence, standards creep appears.

That's funny. I have noticed the same thing. It seems places with the most
regimented standards also seem to be in a constant state of "updating them".

We all know why this happens. People get into positions of power and they don't
want to be dirtied with the mundane work of actually writing. They have to
justify their paycheck somehow, so they constantly develop styles and
templates. Its just a way to avoid their real job and look more important.

Andrew Plato

April 27. http://www.pdfconference.com.