Subject: Techwhirlers at STC Chicago?
From: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 15:03:30 -0400

Doug Grossman will be attending the STC conference in Chicago, and wonders:
<<Is there a way that those of us on this list can do something so that we
can be easily identifiable to each other (if we so choose), when walking
around the conference site?>>

A few years back, one techwhirler (Bev Parks?) came up with a bunch of
yellow smiley-face stickers with a techwr-l slogan on them, and anyone who
wanted one could apply it to their ID badge. It was amazing how many of us
were wandering around with the stickies. Anyone with a better memory for the
innovator's name? Anyone willing to mass-produce the stickies? (If not, I
recommend doing your own. Be creative! I'll probably do my own stickie if I
remember. Heck, if I can find a button-maker locally, I may even get a
button done up.)

In Toronto, we also had a techwr-l dinner, and took over the restaurant at
the top of the CN tower; I think there were something like 100 of us, and
maybe 10 "civilians". If anyone from Chicago would be interested in
organizing such a dinner, I'd be happy to attend. My dinner dance card is
currently open Monday and Wednesday evenings thus far, though on Wednesday,
I'd prefer an early dinner somewhere within walking distance of the
conference hotel. (I'm hoping to head out to the Hamlet performance by the
Chicago Shakespeare company that night.)

<<I just think it would be a cool idea if we could see who we've been
"talking" to via this list.>>

Look for the stickies! Warning: if you label yourself, prepare to be
sociable. In Toronto, I found it hard to walk more than about 20 feet
without being ambushed and dragged into a conversation en route to a panel
discussion. <g> In the meantime, head over to Bev's "friendly faces of
http://meltingpot.fortunecity.com/bute/52/techwr-l/

geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca
"User's advocate" online monthly at

"Some painters transform the sun into a yellow spot; others transform a
yellow spot into the sun."- -Pablo Picasso (1881-1973)