RE: underlining

Subject: RE: underlining
From: Tom Murrell <trmurrell -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 11:30:18 -0700 (PDT)

--- bryan -dot- westbrook -at- amd -dot- com wrote:
> The mouse pointer changes from an arrow to that little Mickey Mouse hand
> when you pass over a hyperlink. There can also be variations in the shades
> of gray, as long as red is not used for the link color. People who are
> color blind see in grayscale, not monochrome.

So, if I don't see in color, I have to scan with my pointing device to see it
change to a hand to know where the links are on text. Or I will need a very
high resolution monitor to 'see' potentially subtle variations in gray. Not
sure I like that solution.

As for the opinion that underlines serve no purpose other than to clutter the
text (clobber text in the next line, I believe I read), that can easily be
handled with style sheets that set the line height. (But, I will admit, you
have to be using a browser that supports style sheets.)

I guess the real solution for a user is to have a browser that allows the user
to control these things by turning off your styles in favor of things that will
help the user 'see' the text clearly. (But then that won't work for alleged
HTML Help that doesn't open in a real browser, will it?)

<rant>I guess it annoys me that few people seem to care about making their
online work accessible. I guess we'd rather play with our flash and our colors
and have fun.</rant>

=====
Tom Murrell
Lead Technical Writer