Re: Documentation plans, standards manuals, and more

Subject: Re: Documentation plans, standards manuals, and more
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- progeny -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2001 10:16:36 -0700

Jessica Pease wrote:

> Jessica Pease wrote....

> Nothing is hindering me from writing docs. The reason I see for implementing
> a standard for all docs is that I have seen major discrepancies in usage,
> style, layout, and naming conventions in our documentation. If everyone has
> something in common to refer to, it would improve our docs. The
> documentation plan might bring some awareness, for other teams, to what our
> team delivers for a project, and might help with scope creep. At this very
> moment, I actually have time to tend to these matters. So, I figure, why not
> take advantage of the time, to make things a little tidier?

I appreciate your good-humored reply to Andrew's comments. Still, he
does give an important reminder: don't let style guides and the
search for consistency become an end in itself. Complete
consistency, like the error free chapter in proofreading, is almost
impossible to achieve - if only because the deadline rarely gives
the time needed to achieve it.

That's not to say that total chaos is the answer, by any means. Just
keep your plans in perspective. While planning is useful, it's not
everything. After all, you could have manuals that are generally
consistent with each other that aren't any help to the users.

Which reminds me: another useful thing to do in a lull (besides
trying to restore your shattered nerves) is to delve into the
products you're writing about a little deeper. Even if what you
learn doesn't go directly into any manual, your increased
understanding should benefit your audience considerably.

--
Bruce Byfield 604.421.7177 bbyfield -at- progeny -dot- com

"Wild wood, bush and briar, it makes your feet to stumble,
Wise blood,the sky's on fire: away, away,
Wild wood, bush and briar, it makes your heart to tremble;
Love, you mustn't tire at the dying of the day."
-OysterBand, "We Shall Come Home"