RE: Plays well with others

Subject: RE: Plays well with others
From: "rpl" <rpl -at- iexplain -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 07:52:38 -0700

Thank you Sir!

I think this is a most lucid argument on this I've ever heard - a very
reasonable way to approach the whole idea of being a team player.

Personally, I think a lot of people have trouble with the corporate label
"team player". It has become a banner term, if you will and by its overuse,
anachronistic to the very people who already know that it's a good thing to
be a team player - especially on a winning team.

What I have trouble with is managers who try to reach a goal by expecting
too much of a team that's not ready, not cohesive enough to face the
challenge set before them, whatever that may be.

What over-eager managers don't seem to realize that developing a winning
team, (sports or office) takes time, energy and commitment to a specific
goal, for instance winning the Stanley cup 5-years in a row or developing
outstanding online help for the Company's five core products.

To the over-eager managers out there: you're not always going to be able to
hire the "stars" that you want. Instead why not make the resolution to dig
down and hire some people that you sense will be committed to helping the
team reach the goal? Then set about the difficult task of developing your
own "stars". They might even decide to stick with you and your company for
longer than 3-years.

Another thing, no one ever seems to consider that it's impossible to win all
the time. There must be losses too. Losses teach the team how to win if they
decide it's worth going through the grueling process of taking a few, or
even many losses before experiencing the satisfaction of a big win by a
cohesive team that, after all the prepatory "practice", is finally READY to
win.

Rob