RE: Plays well with others

Subject: RE: Plays well with others
From: "Eichelberger, Mark" <Mark -dot- Eichelberger -at- aftech -dot- fiserv -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 12:09:18 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: Andrew Plato

> How would you deal with Sally and James?

>>I recently had a situation with a writer similar to Sally. We sat down and
discussed the problem frankly and honestly. I said I was not happy with the
quality of her work, her attitude at work, and she needed to improve. She
started blaming our client for bad stuff. I replied "I don't play the blame
game. This isn't a discussion about who we can blame for a project going bad.
This is a discussion about YOUR work and YOUR capabilities." <<

I don't always agree with Andrew's opinions on some of the postings I have read, but I am pretty much in agreement with him here. IMHO, the direct approach is the most effective strategy to let people know that their attitudes and work habits are not up to snuff. Some folks just don't have a clue to how bad they really are. I don't know if it is denial, fear, stupidity, incompetence, arrogance or a combination of these elements. I have also witnessed managers who cover up or gloss over blatant shortcomings in employee performance. This only makes matters worse, as it reinforces the negative behaviors of the employee. Like Andrew, I too have noticed how honest performance appraisals have served as a wake up call for some employees. And for the truly bad ones, an honest performance appraisal will provide justification and a paper trial in the event of termination.

Mark Eichelberger
Technical Writer
AFTECH
Mark -dot- Eichelberger -at- Aftech -dot- Fiserv -dot- com
610 993 8000 x534