RE: AutoCAD Tutorials

Subject: RE: AutoCAD Tutorials
From: "David Berg" <dberg -at- dmpnet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 14:32:49 -0600

> Well ... you could go to Engineering School :-{).
>
> The AutoCAD tutorials are difficult to use, because (guess what!) AutoCAD
> is difficult to use. Takes years to become thoroughly proficient
> with it.

Two or three years ago I started to take the lab portion of an AutoCAD
(version 14) course so that my university would give me credit for the ol'
pen and pencil drafting course that I took 20 years ago. (Has anyone else
ever tried etching a drawing on painted Mylar? I remember all too well using
the point of my compass to scratch out the curves for the cross-section of
an airfoil.)

After a couple of weeks I concluded that the:

* The AutoCAD interface was somewhat counter-intuitive and outmoded (I
guessed it was that way to stay kinda close to the interface for antiquated
versions)

* My instructor was rigid and seemingly taking the least possible intuitive
approach to teaching the software. She desperately needed a course in
learning theory.

* That I really didn't need the course all that bad.

I bailed out in time to get a partial refund and I have no regrets. I had
too many other things going on at the time to worry about AutoCAD at the
time. I'm convinced that AutoCAD would greatly benefit from a ground-up
redesign by a usability expert.

Just my 2 cents. I'd find a simpler package to learn. Even if your company
has to buy something else, that will probably be cheaper than to pay you to
learn AutoCAD.

David Berg
**Go SMSU Lady Bears!!!**
Toledo, Rutgers, Duke, and Washington down.
Heading for the Final Four in St. Louis against Purdue.

"Lord, oh, mercy! What was that we just witnessed? I've seen all the great
women scorers, and this might be the best we've ever seen." Lin Dunn,
Seattle Storm coach, after watching SMSU star Jackie Stiles for the first
time, playing Duke.