Re: Experience/No experience

Subject: Re: Experience/No experience
From: "Matthew Danda" <mattspam -at- dandaweb -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 11:27:26 -0500

Colin:

Forget about office and clerical experience, focus on the "Technical" part
of "Technical Writer"!

Tell your brother to market himself as an aspiring technie. Although he's
not one now, he should behave as if he really wants to become one. Maybe
take classes, start studing for certifications (like A++), and show an
interest in the technical side. This will open many doors for beginning tech
writers.

I got my first TW job without any experience (as a techie or as a writer)
because I told them that I was genuinely interested in becoming a
programmer, and my goal was to write manuals now in order to learn the
software and eventually how to program. This approach almost guarantees
employment, as many managers (especially in small companies) are amazed that
anyone would *want* to endure the pain of writing a manual and, more
importantly, are far more comfortable dealing with starving techies than
with starving artists.

At least, this approach worked very well for me during the early part of my
career. Of course, 7 years later, I'm starting to admit to myself that
perhaps I am more interested in the "Writer" part of "Technical Writer". But
at least I've never had to work as a "data entry clerk" or "word processor"!

-Matt
Freelance Technical Author
Gainesville, FL