Multiple versions of a document

Subject: Multiple versions of a document
From: Jersey <jersey1870 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 14:50:16 -0800 (PST)

I read the recent "long documents in Word" discussion,
and have a related question. Is it possible to
generate several versions of a document using only one
copy each of the source files?

For example, suppose I have a separate file for each
chapter (Chap1.doc, Chap2.doc, Chap3.doc, and
Chap4.doc).

I want to have a DocumentA, which includes Chap1.doc,
Chap3.doc, and Chap4.doc. I also want to have a
DocumentB, which includes Chap1.doc, Chap2.doc, and
Chap3.doc. Can I do this while maintaining only one
copy of each chapter file?

Can Word do something like this?

How about Framemaker? A FM brochure claims,
"Conditional text support enables you to create and
manage multiple variants of a document in a single
source." Can FM really do this?

Thanks,

J. Rippel

http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/