How long to give client to decide on project?

Subject: How long to give client to decide on project?
From: Johanna <chazjo -at- magma -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 16:05:05 -0500

Hello and a general thanks to all who helped out with
some of my earlier questions re: developing a doc plan
and estimating the scope of a project.

In the end I spent a very long week preparing a *very*
thorough documentation plan complete with sample book
covers, a very comprehensive table of contents and
some sample procedures based on the system they asked
me to scope. It is the first time these guys are
looking for doc work so I spelled out everything for
them neatly and explained the doc process and how we
(development and I) would work together to make their
hard deadline of June 1st (product launch).

We met Tuesday a.m. and went over the work proposal;
in the end the client was quite excited about the
whole thing. When he finally asked about the cost, I
handed him a written proposal and cost estimate and
told him that the figures were based on the proposed
number of pages and ToC that I had developed. He said
that he expected to get back to me quickly and that
was the last I have heard of him.

Well, 3 business days have past and I have heard
nothing from him despite our understanding that we
need to proceed ASAP to have a final document ready
for his product launch. I know that he has never
bought documentation services before and that he is
wavering about the price, most likely trying to figure
out if one of the secretaries can do the work instead.
(As an aside, when I came in for our meeting, his
secretary called out to him that "the girl with the
book is here". I love the respect afforded technical
writers.)

In the meantime, 2 other potential clients have
inquired as to my availability and would like to know
about my upcoming schedule. How long do other
freelancers give a client to say yay or nay before
making themselves available to other jobs? I don't
want to say yes to client B only to have client A come
back next week and tell me that they'd like to go
ahead. The project I bid on won't allow time for
secondary projects once I start. I also don't feel up
to calling the first client and asking when they will
have a decision. My follow up email made it clear that
I was awaiting their decision and that time was of the
essence. I really don't want to be seen as being
putting pressure on them.

Any input from techwhirlers would be, as always,
appreciated.