RE: Content Moratorium

Subject: RE: Content Moratorium
From: "Giordano, Connie" <Connie -dot- Giordano -at- FMR -dot- COM>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 15:03:08 -0500

Oh that such a thing were possible! I haven't seen it yet. I'm doing last
minute updates to help files on the day the product is released to the
client. If the build works in the client's test environment, we'll FTP the
help projects into the build that actually works. It's crazy, but it's one
of the more common ways things get done.

You make excellent points, however I'd put one before your first one.
Establish that you are ALL working on delivering a usable product with the
highest acceptability by users. Get involved in designing the product, not
just the support, and you'll know what the features are at the same time, if
not before, the developers do. Chances are that you're better at it anyway.

Your reporting line matters less than your involvement in an integrated
process. As does when and how you enforce a "feature freeze" (lovely
concept, that). The real world is that QA finds bugs, and sometimes we have
to go back and start over. We build our schedules so that doc/user support
gets delivered to QA and BA at the same time as the final scheduled
development build. So QA has the same amount of time to finish regression
testing, and QA real-time help systems, as we do to finish writing and
editing.

Bottom line: You shouldn't "demand" anything--you can work with development
and QA to ensure that your development and production cycle is integrated
into theirs. Demanding TW's just get a rep for being unreasonable. Try
helping the QA folks finish regression testing--you'd be amazed at how many
favors you can call in later.

I report to the installation and product support department. I work with the
marketing folks, the business analysts and the developers. Our goal: let
marketing sell a product that we actually make, and let's make a product
customers will actually use.

New topic, back to 2 cents worth!

Connie Giordano