RE: Volunteer Work on a Resume?

Subject: RE: Volunteer Work on a Resume?
From: "Nancy Osterhout" <bluetwilight -at- home -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 07:37:38 -0800

iluvscotties said:

>Moreover, if news reports are remotely accurate,
>more and more employers reportedly encourage
>their employees to volunteer in the community.
>They might be happy with something you did
>for a non-profit group.

I sure hope so!

I have 12 years of experience teaching high-school juniors
and seniors in a 2-year long program at my church. I was
officially and formally trained and certified by the church
to design courses for that audience. I developed and
produced training material. I delivered classes in person
every weekend during the school year. Loved it!!

Can anyone suggest how I can blend that volunteer experience
into my resume now that I'm re-entering the instructional
design field?

I've already worked as a training coordinator. And I've
successfully designed, developed, and delivered a class on
how to write procedures to engineers and manufacturing
operators.

I just don't want my resume disregarded or dumped because a
recruiter or hiring manager chooses to believe that I'd want
to convert anybody to my own religion. I just want to
maximize this as my experience.

BTW, I'm taking courses at my local university for a
certificate in training. Strangely (?), much of the content
of the "Course Design" course is stuff I learned in order to
get certified by my church (Roman Catholic) as a catechist.

Feel free to respond to me off-list. Thanks!

Sit in reverie, and watch the changing color of the
waves that break upon the idle seashore of the mind.
~~ H.W. Longfellow