RE: Volunteer Work on a Resume?

Subject: RE: Volunteer Work on a Resume?
From: iluvvscotties -at- earthlink -dot- net
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 16:43:32 -0500

I somehow missed the beginning of this thread. However, I gather that you are trying to reflect volunteer work in a "standard format" resume (i.e., one that shows job experience by date). In that situation, I would add a separate heading for whatever it is you did as a volunteer.

For example, the left hand side of my resume listed OBJECTIVE (which I know is controversial, but I only wanted to do one thing, and kept getting called for others), EXPERIENCE, PUBLICATIONS, PATENTS, PUBLICATIONS, PUBLIC SPEAKING, PROGRAMMING LANGUAGES, EDUCATION, and AFFILIATIONS.
Applicable information is to the right of each of the aforementioned bold headings. Just as I put appearing as a featured speaker under PUBLIC SPEAKING, my monthly technical column under PUBLICATIONS, and software I developed under PATENTS, you could find an applicable descriptive header for whatever you want to reflect having done as a volunteer.

If at all possible, I would print copies of non-proprietary documentation/booklets on nice paper and have them available at interviews.