Re: Why I need the Internet at Work (spun off Fave Tech Writing websites)

Subject: Re: Why I need the Internet at Work (spun off Fave Tech Writing websites)
From: Andrew Plato <intrepid_es -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 23:39:48 -0800 (PST)

"Maggie Secara" Wrote

> Yeah, ok, so I got a job.
> spent parts of today experimenting with URLs I could remember off hand to
> see which ones opened politely and which popped up a big yellow stop sign
> saying that site is not for me. Why DO I need net access?
> But this is ridiculous! I can't even
> do a keyword search. I just get the same big stop sign!

Two things, most companies are not swift enough to handle actual content
filtering. That requires some pretty seriously powerful proxy server software.

More than likely your browser has a rather restrictive security setting. Check
the security settings for your browser and lower them if necessary. See if that
helps.

The other problem is likely an improperly configured proxy server. It is
possible the IT guys did an "out of the box" setup of MS Proxy Server. If
thats the case, they probably did not install the routing services and
therefore any site where you need to open a standing TCP connection will get
dropped because the proxy server does not know how to route back to you. This
is an easy one to get around.

You need to locate the proxy server on the network. Specifically, look for a
share called MSPCLNT (or similar). Locate the executable foe the MS Proxy
Client software and install it on your computer. Then turn off the proxy
settings in your browser. This will get you through the proxy server and allow
you to create standing TCP links with web sites.

It is more than likely the IT guys have a badly configured proxy server. They
are not out to get you just because you're a lowly tech writer. Do some
research and figure out a way around the proxy server.

However, it is worth noting that whether you are a contractor or an employee,
your employer owns the Internet connection. They are well within their legal
rights to restrict your access and monitor your usage. This goes for email as
well. You will not win an argument demanding privacy rights. You have none when
you're using a company Internet connection.

Andrew Plato

http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/