Re: Favorite Technical Writing Websites

Subject: Re: Favorite Technical Writing Websites
From: Janice Gelb <janiceg -at- marvin -dot- eng -dot- sun -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 15:13:02 -0800 (PST)

In article ORG -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com, Richard -dot- Smith -at- windriver -dot- com ("Richard Smith") writes:
>Neal asks:
>| list[ing] your favorite 10
>| or so websites. Mine include, but are not limited to ...
>
>Well, the ones I use the most at work are...
>
>www.google.com - the site I use the most, hands down.

I prefer www.raging.com, Altavista's faster version, because
it recognizes quote-phrasing and Booleans.

>www.deja.com for searching usenet archives. I was sad to see it go, google's
>version isn't even close.

Try http://www.exit109.com/~jeremy/news/deja.html
which still searches without google.

Those of you interested in writing guidelines for
the web may be interested in my collection at
http://www.geocities.com/j_gelb/web-writing.html

Other good sites:

Freeality Internet Search
http://www.freeality.com/dictionat.htm

A one-page combination of many dictionary search engines, with
interactive fields so you can search them all from this page

Editor's Reference Page
http://writetools.com

A compilation of site lists for dictionaries, encyclopedias,
grammar/style guides, and the like. Very thorough.

The Virtual Reference Desk
http://thorplus.lib.purdue.edu/reference/index.html

Another list of sites for dictionaries, thesaurii, acronyms,
information technology, reference sources, government documents,
and the like

HTML Tips (my favorite of many HTML Guide sites)
http://www.htmlgoodies.com

XML Sites
http://www.startkabel.nl/k/xml/

I think this site lists every XML site on the web!

Scambusters
http://www.scambusters.org/scamcheck.html

Links to sites that let you know about scams, viruses, and hoaxes

Copyright tips
http://www.benedict.com

Technology Law Research
http://www.kuesterlaw.com

And, my all-time favorite site... *drumroll*

The Internet Movie Database :->
http://www.imdb.com

-- Janice