Re: Outputting to HTML and PDF formats?

Subject: Re: Outputting to HTML and PDF formats?
From: Sandy Harris <sandy -at- storm -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 11:57:25 -0500

Johanna wrote:

> I am developing a manual and was originally planning
> on doing it in Word as requested. However, the client
> has now come back and said it would be _nice_ if the
> manual could be output to HTML and PDF. Their user
> interface is a web browser so I am not sure if they
> want something hyperlinked and essentially online help
> or if they simply want to be able to open the manual
> in a browser.
>
> In any case, is Word up to outputting in HTML format
> or am I looking at using another type of software?

Word does have an HTML output feature. I once looked at the resulting HTML,
using a text editor, and thought it utterly ghastly. All sorts of font tags
and other clutter. Truly horrifying.
However:
I'm hardly unbiased. I work mainly on Linux and detest most MS
products, perhaps sometimes without good reason
That was Word 97. I'm told later versions are better.
There's something downloadable from MS that cleans up the HTML.

so, for all I know, you might be able to get statisfactory results from Word.

I do my editing in HTML (Wordpad on Windows or vi on Linux) then convert to
PDF using the free htmldoc utility (Unix or Windows) from www.easysw.com.
I'm quite happy with the results.

The resulting docs are at: http://www.freeswan.org/doc.html

Currently, the PDF is not on the website. It should appear with our 1.9 release,
which will be Monday barring last-minute glitches.

If you want a look at it sooner than that, mail me off-list and I'll send you a
copy. It is about 1.7 megs.