Re: laid off

Subject: Re: laid off
From: figmo -at- rahul -dot- net (Lynn Gold)
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 18:13:59 -0800 (PST)

Bill Swallow wrote:

>> This time I was given four weeks of severance pay. I
>> am also allowed to come back into the building for
>> the
>> next month to use my computer and voice mail to look
>> for jobs.
>
>Wow! Good deal! I got 2 weeks' severance and 1/2 an
>hour to grab my stuff and get out. My network
>connection was locked out and an armed guard
>(rent-a-cop with a gun, nice) kindly escorted me out.
>This was the 2nd layoff I went through, the first
>exactly 9 months before to the day. The 1st layoff was
>handled a bit better, but still sucked. ;)

I once had a job interview that mostly consisted of my comparing how
different companies laid people off (I was grossly overqualified for the
job and they had a cheaper candidate coming in the next day).

Bill is right when he says you're lucky re: the severance package. Many
companies have the armed guards ready and waiting and don't let you say
goodbye to anyone.

>> I have sent my resume to two agencies, and applied
>> online for several jobs already.
>
>Sounds like you're off to a good start.

Agreed.

>> Anybody else out there like me? Anyone with advice
>> to share?
>
>Never underestimate the power of short-term contracts.
>They've been serving me well. Not only does
>contracting keep my bank account in the black, but
>it's kept my skills sharp and has exposed me to some
>new environments and tasks.

I second that. Sometimes a contract can enable you to pick up a skill you
can use to land your next "permanent" job.

>I'm still job hunting (Albany NY and all of MA, if
>anyone's interested), but contracting has allowed me
>the opportunity to be a bit more picky in my search.

YES! It's always easier to get a job when you have a job. I was getting
lowballed in job negotiations for one job because the hiring manager's boss
thought I was unemployed. When he found out I had a contract and didn't
have to leave it I suddenly had negotiating power.

Good luck in your job hunt -- both of you. Keep plugging away, and keep a
notebook of all your contacts. This helps when you're looking because you
can instantly remember who sent your resume and where it was sent
(especially if there's the potential for conflight -- I once lost a job
offer because two recruiters were fighting over who put my name in first).

--Lynn