Re: Taking Minutes at Meetings

Subject: Re: Taking Minutes at Meetings
From: "Simone Bartsion" <scuba -at- netvision -dot- net -dot- il>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 23:05:13 +0200

Hi,

Before recently changing companies, I spent the best part of my working life
as a technical writer accompanying project teams to client sites around the
world for the sole purpose of capturing the minutes of meetings, which
included recording Action Items, Customization Items and Open Issues.
These meetings generally took the form of presentations interspersed with
discussions.
Firstly, I would like to confirm that because of the nature and size of the
company I worked for, I hardly felt empowered by being responsible for
recording the minutes. It was interesting knowing first-hand how the project
was faring, but as the developers wrote the specs (which we tech writers
edited), and there was a separate group of tech writers responsible for the
user guides and another for training, I never really felt "involved" or
recognized for my efforts.

But, the point that I would like to make is that I quickly realised in order
to be sure I captured the relevant points being discussed, it was important
to have copy of the Agenda, a copy of all the presentations (if possible)
and to be sure that I sat next to a SME (Subject Matter Expert) from my
company. This way I could quickly confirm important points made during the
presentation and review the minutes during the breaks with the SME.

Recording the minutes of meetings requires that you be constantly alert and
paying attention, as these minutes form the backbone of the project.
Good-luck!

Simone Bartsion
Technical Writer