laid off

Subject: laid off
From: M Silverspring <vetalidevi -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 09:46:13 -0800 (PST)

It happened again. I was laid off on March 2nd for the
fifth time in my life. The differences are several.

This was my first formal tech writing job; my other
four layoffs were as an RN. Most of those layoffs
involved being given an hour to clean out my desk and
being locked out of the building. Oh, and
unemployment. I was on a first-name basis with the
folks at the unemployment office.

This time I was given four weeks of severance pay. I
am also allowed to come back into the building for the
next month to use my computer and voice mail to look
for jobs. But since this was my first formal tech
writing job, I don't look very experienced on paper. I
have lots of skills, and I worked another half-time
contract while I was doing my day job, so I really
threw myself into learning. But there are so many
other writers out there.

I have sent my resume to two agencies, and applied
online for several jobs already. I don't want to go
back to full time nursing (too gruelling-- I was a
chemotherapy RN, and the pace'll kill ya! hahaha).
Being home while everyone else is out working is so
depressing.

Anybody else out there like me? Anyone with advice to
share? I guess I'm just writing for support.

Thanks.
Martha

http://auctions.yahoo.com/