RE: Technical Writing, QA, and Training

Subject: RE: Technical Writing, QA, and Training
From: TGREER <tgreer -at- bowvalleyc -dot- ab -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2001 15:31:56 -0700

I think that the best written materials for both training and reference come
when you can crawl inside the skin of the user/student. Where do they
struggle? What procedures are not clear? Since that's not possible, I'm
always looking for ways to get feedback from the students who will use the
material I design (and sometimes write). What better way than to teach the
stuff? That being said, the powers that be here, have determined that the
Instructional Designers here are not allowed to deliver any of the material
we design. For now, until that silly rule is changed, I have to rely on the
instructors to tell me where the students struggle. It's a less than perfect
system though, because the information I need is being parsed through the
instructor's views and perspectives.

I can understand not wanting to teach full time. There's a reason I chose
curriculum design/development rather than delivery as a career! It's a huge
energy drain. But don't discount the valuable data you'll be able to collect
from teaching the materials occaisonally.

Tasha