Re: Leadership?

Subject: Re: Leadership?
From: barry batorsky <bbatorsk -at- nj -dot- devry -dot- edu>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2001 15:50:15 -0500

I guess I am also the kind of person who hates authorities, old as I am I'm
still anti-clericalist.
I think you are mixing management skills with leadership qualities in this
thread. I've heard all these ideas before, but they are usually not
confounded as they have been here. It's important to separate management
skills from leadership qualities.

Good managers are invisible: when I need a piece of chalk for my classroom,
the manager should know it before I do and should see that it is
there--s/he manages the smooth operation of the project. My boss happens to
be my manager not my leader.

Additionaly, if we don't keep the two separate, we will not make good sense
of what a team is. A team has to include a management function, not
necessarily a manager. Good teams also encourage leadership, and that
leadership does not have a bigger paycheck and usually doesnot have its
highest expression in the management function or functionaries. Get it?
The danger here is that teamwork can be another cover for super
exploitation. That is always the threat when the teamwork gets confused
with management by some "authority".

Barry, the leveler