Re: How formal or informal?

Subject: Re: How formal or informal?
From: Alan -dot- Miller -at- prometric -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2001 08:35:45 -0500

I would also avoid contractions. They can be confusing to non-native
speakers--how many native speakers of English confuse its and it's, ones
and one's, your and you're? You can achieve a relaxed, friendly style
without using contractions, colloquialisms, or slang. Simple sentences,
simple vocabulary, and speaking directly to the reader will do the trick.

That's been my experience. Yours is your problem. :-{)

Al Miller
Chief Documentation Curmudgeon
Prometric, Inc.

Marilynne Smith <marilyns -at- qualcomm -dot- com>@lists.raycomm.com on 03/08/2001
07:08:58 PM

Please respond to Marilynne Smith <marilyns -at- qualcomm -dot- com>

Sent by: bounce-techwr-l-40429 -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com

To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
cc:

If they've learned English in school, they probably didn't learn the folksy
language or colloquialisms - at least not a lot. I would write simply and
clearly. Who could ask for more?

Marilynne